Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Whales and Bats Oh My

It's like I'm at the zoo! I might see some bats in Austin this week. There's like 1.5 million of 'em that live under a bridge and fly out each night looking for food.  I guess I'm okay, as long as i wear a hat (what's the urban legend about bats getting tangled up in blond hair???)

Also went whale watching on Friday. . .we saw liek 24 or 25 whales. . about 5 or 6 miles off redondo beach. They are blue whales, and here's some things I learned about them:

The baby blue whale gains liek 200 pounds a day. . .sort of like me on vacation
If you see 2 whales swimming together, the female is in the lead and the male pretty much does what she wants him to.
There were once hundreds of thousands of blue whales and now it's down to like 10,000.
Seeing them 4-6 miles off shore is unusual. . .that's a little close in.
Don't throw up in the captain's boat. .lean over the rail.

Luckily, I didn't have to do that last one. Okay, this week I'm in Tulsa, OK City, Austin, Atlanta, Solvang, and San Jose. . whew! The Bats video is here. . .very cool.. . Enjoy!

Jano
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: