Thursday, September 30, 2010

6 cities. . .lots of travel!

Grapes that we stomped @ the winery
I luv Southwest airlines. . .after my sister mentioned Tuesday morning that the DC area was expecting major storms today (Thursday), the day of my flight, I was able to change my flight LESS THAN 15 HOURS OUT FOR ONLY $18 BUCKS! I could not have done that on any other airline. . .did I mention that I luv Southwest.

So my friends and I did some wine tasting over the weekend at the Gainey winery in Solvang, CA. . .very fun and HOT. I think it hit over 100 degrees – luckily there was plenty of chardonnay so I didn’t pass out. The party was fun – we got to stomp grapes, pick grapes, and drink grapes – I got the next 3 weeks, 5-fruits-a-day servings in a 5 hour party. Solvang is where they filmed the movie “Sideways” at, it’s near Santa Barbara and unfortunately most people miss Solvang and head to the more well-known Santa Barbara. Solvang is about 90 minutes from me, so it’s an easy day trip or overnighter. I had a membership at some of the wineries, but they couldn’t tell me when the monthly wine was being delivered – and invariably it would happen while I was on the road, and the wine would sit for a couple days. I still drank it, but I decided it was too much hassle, so now I just visit and buy a bunch there. I also live less than an hour north from Temecula – another great, not well-known wine town, and it’s where my friends and I (most of the same ones who were with me this last weekend) went up in a hot air balloon last summer. We had wine AFTER that.

This past week took me all over the map to 5 different cities, 6 if you count the winery, and I’m now in Washington, DC. . .show at the Hershey lodge - (you know, where they make Hershey's chocolate) later this week AND a chance to visit my family.
A few tips on chocolate:
--it was discovered 2,000 years ago in tropical rainforests
--the first people known to have made chocolate were ancient cultures of Mexico and the Americas
--chocolate comes from the Cacao seed and in ancient history, it has been used in religious ceremonies

Jano
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: